Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What I'm all about...

If you have taken the time to read my profile information, you already know that I am a married mother of one fantastic little boy. This blog is not about him, nor is it about my husband. Instead, it is about MY life with them, why we do the things we do, and how we do them. Interest peaked? Read on...

What will be contained in the virtual pages of this blog? Anecdotes about my family and my students (did I mention I am a 7th grade history teacher?) Recipes and other tips for keeping a busy household happy and healthy. Discussions of the things I love to do, the things I hate to do and the things I wish I could find the time and money to do. Musings on the good, the bad and the ugly of the life I lead.

Lets complete the picture with a little more information about me and mine. My household currently consists of myself, my husband, my son, my mother and my father. The house we live in belongs to my parents, and we are living with them while we try to sell a condo we have outgrown. I have two siblings and they are a big part of our life, as are their spouses, children and dogs. They are around a lot. My husband comes from a much bigger family but due to geography they aren't all around nearly as much as we would like. My mother in law is close by, however, and for that we are grateful. Yup, I really like my mother in law. I'm not afraid to admit it!

I try to keep my family's life as simple and "unprocessed" as I can. I cook a lot and VERY little comes out of a package, a can or a box. I'd rather spend Sunday morning baking with my little assistant than buy the bread, cookies, muffins, etc we eat during the week. My ultimate goal is to get us to a life free from processed and packaged foods. I have a ways to go in accomplishing this goal, but I like the sense of focus that comes from having something to work for.

Speaking of focus, and having something to work for, I apply this same philosophy to physical activity. Modeling an active lifestyle for the children in our life is extremely important to my husband and myself, but it's sometimes hard to find the motivation to work out just for working out's sake. To help us find that motivation, my husband I and I started racing triathlons 2 years ago. More about this in a later post, but for now I will just say that an impending race gives me the focus to find 6 to 12 hours a week to train and provides an event my son can attend to see why Mommy spends so much time in the gym. He knows my running sneakers from my hanging around sneakers and looks forward to "racing day" as much as I do.

A last thought that speaks to the true inspiration for this blog... As I state in my profile, my husband has recently started his own blog discussing issues of budgeting, financial planning and the like. I have been blogging about my son for the last three years, but now reading his blog has caused me to realize I wanted my own space to spout off about things that strike my fancy. Sometimes, I might make a post directly in response to something he has blogged about, so I wanted to start off with the disclaimer that, despite a strong sense of competition that exists between the hubby and I, and occasional differences of opinion, I feel that he and I compliment each other and each makes the other a better person. He's a pretty good dude and makes the sometimes crazy life we lead a whole lot better.

All for now. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment